This course is for those who have entered, or are about to enter, the construction and civil engineering industry as a member of the workforce, to help them understand the potential hazards that they face at work on site.
It provides a practical summary of health and safety, welfare and environmental issues identifying individual responsibilities for looking after themselves and others, what the employer’s duties are and what should be done if they think anyone’shealth and safety is being put at risk.
The aims and objectives of the one-day course are:
- to ensure that individual responsibilities are understood:
- why they are carrying out their identified duties, and
- what is expected of them, and
- to ensure that they contribute to the safety of the workplace to ensure that at the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- understand the need to prevent accidents
- have an understanding of health and safety law
- identify how their role fits into the control and management of the site
- understand the need for risk assessments and method statements
- appreciate the need to perform safely and to stop and ask for advice
- if not sure feel obliged to report unsafe acts to prevent an accident
The method of assessment will be by multiple-choice questions at the end of the course, as well as being expected to be interactive during the course.
All courses must be delivered in English. Delegates must, therefore, be competent in English at the level required to do their job. Interpreters and translators are not permitted for any part of the course qualification or examination.
This course is an ideal introduction for obtaining a basic understanding of health and safety duties and responsibilities and becoming aware of hazards and risks on site.
Upon successful completion of this course, a natural progression would be the SiteSupervisors’ Safety Training Scheme course (two days).
Existing site managers, agents, surveyors and persons holding positions of managerial control should attend the five-day Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)course.