Aim and Objectives
At the end of the course delegates should:
- Understand problems currently highlighted in the industry within their role
- Have an understanding of how health and safety law is currently structured
- Identify how their supervisory role fits in with the manager in controlling the site safely
- Carry out site inductions, briefings, tool box talks and understand the need for method statements
- Improve communication routes within site activities
The course covers The Health & Safety at Work Act and the regulations relevant to the construction industry. To include:
- Current enforcement priorities / HSE / Environment
- Fire risks and emergency procedures and reporting
- Best practice updates:
- Noise and vibration
- Drugs and alcohol
- Stress factors
- Dynamic risk assessment procedures
- Hazardous substances
- Work at Height
- Manual Handling
- Tool box talks
It also includes recent changes in accepted working practices. For those who successfully complete the course there is a recognised certificate.
Who should attend?
This refresher course is for delegates who have previously passed the 2 day Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme course and can provide proof of attendance.
It is intended for first line managers who have supervisory responsibilities and now wish to update their skills and knowledge in line with current legislation and maintain their current certificate.
The course includes a wide range of topics many building on the previous two-day course programme as well as introducing new subjects.
The certificate has to be renewed every 5 years by attending this SSSTS update course.
All courses must be delivered in English. Delegates must, therefore, be competent in English at the level required to do their job. Interpreters and translators are not permitted for any part of the course qualification or examination.
Only those delegates who hold an existing SSSTS course and provide evidence to the training provider before attending the course are eligible to attend the refresher course. Failure to attend the refresher course prior to the expiry of an existing certificate will require delegates to re-enter the scheme by completing the 2 day SSSTS course if they wish to remain in the scheme.
Delegates who have exceeded the six-month grace period are not eligible to take the refresher course. Any delegate who is accepted onto a course outside of the grace period will NOT be processed as achieving the certificate.