The Managing Safely in Construction syllabus reflects the original IOSH core syllabus for Managing Safely. This syllabus has been developed to enable managers of construction related projects to manage safely and effectively in compliance with both their organisation’s policy and best practice in health and safety.
This four day course aims to give managers the knowledge and skills necessary to enable them to recognise the hazards likely to be present in the construction industry and the actions needed to control and manage them.
Who should attend?
Managers and senior site staff who are required to manage efficiently and effectively in compliance with both the organisations safety policy and current health and safety legislation.
By the end of this course delegates should be able to:
- Outline relevant health and safety legislation and specific legislation, codes of practice, guidance notes and know where to find information sources
- Explain how legal duties translate into managerial responsibilities
- Distinguish between the duties and responsibilities of the employer and employee, client, contractor and sub contractor
- Be able to verify the competence of contractors and sub-contractors
- Have an understanding of risk assessment and risk control
- Describe the concept of unsafe acts and unsafe conditions
- Be able to select workplace precautions relative to the hazards and record results of risk assessments and carry out reviews.
- Know the statutory requirements for reporting and recording of accidents and incidents
- Distinguish between accidents, incidents and near misses
- Understand the principles of accident/incident investigation
- Know the importance of continuous active monitoring
- Explain the importance of consultation with employees or their representatives
The course comprises four modules:
- Module 1 – Introducing managing safely in construction
- Module 2 – Assessing risks in construction
- Module 3 – Controlling risks in construction
- Module 4 – Understanding your responsibilities
- Module 5 – Identifying hazards in construction
- Module 6 – Investigating accidents & incidents in construction
- Module 7 – Measuring performance in construction
- Module 8 – Protecting our environment in construction